There are different analysis techniques. Each analysis technique has its pros and cons. Similarly, the way to conduct each analysis is specified. From a broader perspective, you can categorise analysis techniques in two different ways. The first one is content analysis, while the second one is thematic analysis. Content analysis is fine for qualitative as well as quantitative data. Still, it is preferred to go for quantitative data. On the other hand, thematic analysis purely prefers qualitative data. As per the importance of these analysis techniques, this article aims to discuss about content analysis and thematic analysis.
How to Conduct Content Analysis?
One of the best ways to identify the design of a research is content analysis. You have to keep in your mind that it covers all of the data in recorded form. It can be in the form of a documentary, book or image. Also, it includes columns, posts and interviews. In this analysis technique, you would not find any restriction on the research data. You can use this analysis technique for all research data types. The objective of using this analysis technique is to get out the core effect of any communication. It can be oral as well as written communication. In order to conduct this analysis, you can follow the steps as mentioned below:
- Identify the main theme of selected communication.
- Set out the pattern of communication.
- Note down the aim of every participant in communication.
- Critically evaluate the communication and identify different aspects of every saying.
- Evaluate the end results and their effects.
You can even hire dissertation proposal writing services to conduct the content analysis.
What are the Pros of Content Analysis?
Following are some pros of content analysis:
- You do not have to spend time in finding the potential audience. Also, you do not have to interact with a large number of audiences in person.
- This analysis follows a systematic procedure. In the systematic procedure, it is easy to use the material again and again for new research.
- You do not have to follow a specific timetable for content analysis.
- You do not have to go for a particular targeted area for sample collection.
- This is one of the most economical analysis techniques.
What are the Cons of Content Analysis?
Following are some cons of content analysis:
- The identification of core theme can be wrong.
- Data coding is a must in it.
- Data coding requires much time that can cause a delay in your research work.
- The end results may lack in precision because of the descriptive study.
How to Conduct Thematic Analysis?
Qualitative data is a subjective form of data. The analysis of qualitative data gives you a detailed discussion of the selected issue. You can use qualitative data for quantitative analysis as well. For this, you have to code your data and then make it quantitative. Thematic analysis is used to work on qualitative data. Thematic analysis is supposed to find results based on collected data.
Also, it works well to interpret some details out of qualitative data. Before using this analysis technique, it is necessary to know about its purpose and main points. After having descriptive data, you have to critically evaluate the main theme of the study. Designed theme is the thing that helps you well in solving a problem. At the time of using thematic analysis, you have to be focused. It is necessary to come up with a logical interpretation of data.
Another important thing about this analysis technique is linked with its reasoning approach to confidence coefficient. As thematic analysis prefers qualitative data, so the reasoning approach is always inductive.
In order to conduct this analysis, you can follow the steps as mentioned below:
- The whole process of thematic study starts with data collection. You can collect data through relevant articles and other study material. It can be a case study, journal or research paper. You have to be very careful about the authentication of the site and researcher from where you are supposed to collect data.
- After data collection, you have to start data analysis. The thematic analysis identifies the main theme of the selected study.
- Code the main theme of study in subcategories. The data coding makes your end results effective and valid.
- Review the main theme of study.
- Finally, analyse the theme and its codes.
What are the Pros of Thematic Analysis?
Following are some pros of thematic analysis:
- You do not have to spend a long time in training. It is easy to understand.
- It is considered a good way to get insights into a particular problem.
- Also, it works well for hot issues and current themes.
- You can narrow down the main theme of any study.
- You can target different aspects of education. It includes the project as well as the location. In simple words, you can say it covers location-based study. Also, it works well for project-based education.
- It works as an effective way to learn different aspects of a particular topic.
- It helps you in handling a large set of data.
- Also, it provides you with assembled and organised end results of a study.
- Thematic analysis is easy to conduct.
What are the Cons of Thematic Analysis?
Following are some cons of thematic analysis:
- So many ways of data interpretation cause confusion. You may interpret something wrong from the study.
- The wrong interpretation causes a waste of time as well as effort.
- There are great chances that you may overlook one of the major points in your study.
- You cannot use it directly for quantitative data. It requires a long procedure. You have to code all of the qualitative data and then apply the quantitative method to it.
There are some tricks that can make it easy to search for relevant content for content analysis. For this, you have to use keywords. The use of keywords saves your time, and you can find relevant material in a short time. The use of content analysis is very frequent in so many fields of study. Similarly, thematic analysis has a particular way to conduct analysis. The above-mentioned points can help you understand these two analyses.